Tuesday, July 14, 2009

adventures in cloth diapering

So we have decided to try cloth diapering. I'm always looking for new ways to save money and if I can help the environment in the process its a bonus! I started researching cloth diapers online, and I tell you...I NEVER imagined so much information on ONE topic! I do believe there is more out there about cloth diapering then breastfeeding....another topic we'll get to later....but I was amazed... At first I was completely overwhelmed...all these terms I had never seen...I spent a lot of time looking up acronyms so I could understand all the chatter....so here's what I have gathered....

The most basic of cloth diapers is the flat...which is just a flat piece of cloth which requires folding and pinning and a cover....then there are Prefolds (PF)...its essentially many layers of material stitched together with a thicker part in center which you fold into 3's (Basically a flat already folded for you). These come in many sizes and thicknesses....but they need pins or tabs and a waterproof cover...WOW....then we have contours, which are kinda like prefolds I guess, but are actually shaped like a diaper ...but also require pins or tabs and a cover....there are pocket diapers, which have a water proof outer and absorbent inner...but there is a slot (pocket) to stuff more absorbent material...whether you choose to use microfiber (MF) or Hemp or fleece or cotton is all up to you...then AIO's...or All in Ones...which are exactly as they sound...they have a water proof outer with all the absorbent stuff inside already....these are the closest to disposables...but also the most expensive.. Most companies that make these diapers also make the inserts to go with them, or at least sell all the accessories you would need...THEN...we have my favorite diaper...the one we went with.

Gdiapers. Gdiapers is the only flushable cloth diapering system out there. Gdiapers have a cloth outer with a plastic snap in liner. You can then stuff the liner with either the flushable insert or with a cloth insert. Gdiapers now sells their own cloth insert, but is too expensive for my tastes...I also found the flushable inserts too expensive...so I combined systems....I use Gdiapers with PF's. I LOVE THEM. My husband loves them...which is a BIG bonus since he is the one home with him all day and therefore changing the diapers....

I started out fairly simply...I have 12 PF's, I made another 12 old swaddling blankets into PF like inserts...I purchased 7 Gdiaper covers with liners from Gdiapers...I purchased another 6 Gdiaper covers and 4 Cottenwood inserts from a lovely mommy on Diaperswappers (another of the fabulous cloth diapering websites I got information off of)...and I ordered a pack of flushable liners from Imsey Flimsey to catch the poops and make clean up of poopy diapers easier...So all in all, my initial investment was $145. Seems like a lot...FELT like a lot in my wallet....but I tell you...we have been at this for nearly a week now...and I can tell these diapers are going to pay for themselves in a matter of months.

Julians little tushie is all fluffy and super cute....I just dig it! I will be posting more of what I have learned soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment